CIA candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements for education, character, work experience, and identification. Before a candidate application can be approved, ALL documentation (proof of education, character reference, and identification) must be received and approved by The IIA’s Certification staff.
To earn the CIA, you need to follow the following steps;
1. CIA candidates must hold a 4-year post-secondary degree (or higher) or its educational equivalent from an accredited university
2. CIA candidates with a 4 year post secondary degree must obtain a minimum of 24 months of internal auditing experience or its equivalent. A Masters degree can substitute for 12 of the required 24 months
3. Candidates must exhibit high moral and professional character and must submit a Character Reference Form signed by a CIA, CGAP, CCSA, CFSA, CRMA,
4. Candidates must provide proof of identification in the form of a copy of the candidate’s official passport or national identity card
5. Effective November 2010, the certification program’s eligibility requires candidates to complete the program certification process within four years of application approval.
6. CPE Hours per for Practicing CIAs – 40 hours per year & 20 hours per year for Non-Practicing CIAs.